Thursday, February 5, 2009

One half in Bristol



The snow comes down relentlessly as I tickle away on the keys in this cosy home in Alveston, Bristol. I have attached some pics of "Whole Foods Mama" my snow woman, currently residing in the backyard of my aunt and uncle's house, of whom I am very proud. My aunt and uncle are organic, local produce people, hence her name. See if you can make out which veg have been used for which facial feature.
The British nation has gone mad with a mix of anxiety and a child-like thrill with all this white powdery stuff sifting down from the heavens. I watched a 2-minute long insert in a news programme on BBC where we heard three countdowns taking placing for the giant snowball to be launched down a hill on Hampstead Heath. Nothing happened during those 2-minutes but the anchors in the newsroom were flushed with excitement when the cameras cut back to them.

I'm supposed to be at an interview with another teaching agency in Bristol this morning but all bus services have been suspended. Hence, I was forced to spend half an hour building WFM. Snow people are back-breaking work, especially when there are no small people around to pack in the girth around hips and you have to keep bending down to thicken her out.

Mark is currently doing his ward round of the overwhelmingly daunting number of ... 4 children! in the paediatric ward in Enniskillen hospital in Northern Ireland. The highlight of his stay has been acquiring a cotton fitted sheet from M and S to replace the nylon he's been suffering on up 'til now. He's feeling much better since he moved from his room next to the boozing medical students and now goes around with an Indian doctor called Raj. "Is he Raj 1 or Raj 2?", I asked. But apparently he hasn't asked him because after promising to make Mark supper and then slotting two pieces of toast into the toaster, Mark felt perhaps the cultural barrier of commercials jokes might be a bit too much to overcome in this instance.

So, we continue to be two severed halves of the marital pear and are holding up bravely with only a few snivels into the pillow each night. Our reunion happens next week Friday, so what with Valentine's Day being the following day, if you feel the earth move...you know why.

PS What do you think of the new background? Cute or what?

4 comments:

  1. will think of you guys on Valentines day from Smits!! hope the cotton soaks up the snivels better than the nylon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eish that is a funny blog!! You make me laugh! I am loving WFM. She is just brilliant.

    I am at work!! (currently waiting to go home but my car sharer is still decided whether or not its ok)

    p.s. We were told it was ok to leave at about 9:30am so I'm really not sure what the problem is!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey hey, it's tuesday...

    I am very impressed with your organic princess; she's bodacious, baby!

    Oh, and what a splendidly fruity pun. Orange you the quick wit?!

    Miss you large x

    ReplyDelete
  4. hair - celery
    eyes - grapes
    nose - mushroom
    mouth - tomatoe
    ears - doh!

    I love a challenge :-)

    Respek

    :-)

    ReplyDelete