Saturday, August 22, 2009

Hiking the Brooks Range

These pics are from our trek in the tundra. We took a topographical map of the Brooks Range, pepper spray, a bear bell (which you can hear in the video clip below), a horn to scare away an inquisitive bear and good hiking food. The Hickers told us where to pull our car off at the West Fork of the North Fork of the Chandalar River and we set off keenly aware that civilisation was far, far away.
















Can you spot our tent in the pic above? So isolated! Sublime, but nerve-wracking to hear the rock-falls at night and imagine hungry bears prowling...

Mark is using our new water-filter and I'm down shale at our highest point. We walked 20kms + to our car on the second day and paid for it with terrible blisters from our new hiking boots.















2 comments:

  1. Hey wow! I just caught up on all the blogs, I'm not sure - I think my reader (blog following thingy) was missing them - a boo. But now I am up to date. Rock on!!! Nice love mobile. Take in some of that wilderness for me and ENJOY!! P.S. Love the videos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do I see? Pink Crocs!!!! love the videos. I went to Julian's last night with the Crosoers. Prices tipping the R200 mark...Shockingbut delicious.

    ReplyDelete