Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Holy Cow! Calving glaciers and their icebergs

Probably the most awe-inspiring element of Prince William Sound for me (and this is a hard decision to come to given the competition) was watching glaciers calve into the sea. These monsters shave off at the end of their journeys leaving behind bobbing icebergs of differing sizes.

I had an exciting linguistic moment - bear with me here - when experiencing calving glaciers. I rushed to tell my fellow passengers that the glacier was calving. 'Carving?' came the response. 'No CAHVING' I said, yankeefying my accent to be understood. It makes much more sense to differentiate between 'calving' and 'carving' when pronouncing the words. I mean, why is that 'r' there otherwise?

We were privileged enough to kayak amongst the icebergs and, on the last day, get a little bit closer...

R

No comments:

Post a Comment